Browsers offer different ways to access webpages quickly. Home page is the one you can access by clicking on the home button on the address bar. Most browsers like Chrome, Firefox and Edge have a home button on left to the address bar while IE11 has it on the right. In this article, let us explain how can you add home icon to the browser and customize the home page.
Related: Clear browsing history in browsers.
1. Google Chrome
Google Chrome by default does not show the home button. However, you can enable or disable in the settings page.
- Launch Chrome and go to the command URL “chrome://settings”. Alternatively, you can also access the settings page by clicking on the three dots button and choose “Settings” from the dropdown menu.
- Under “Appearance” section, enable “Show home button” switch.
- This will instantly add a home button next to the browser’s address bar.
- You can setup either a new tab page or a specific website as your home page. The page you setup here will open whenever you click on the home button.
- Remember this home page is different than the startup page which will open when you launch the browser.
2. Firefox Quantum
Firefox will show the home button by default on the address bar. If you do not see the home button, you can enable it from the preferences section.
- Right click on the top title bar and choose “Customize” option.
- Drag and drop the home icon to the left or right of the address bar. This will add the home button on Firefox. Click “Done” button to close the customization tab.
- Open a new tab and go to “about:preferences” URL. Alternatively, you can also click on the three horizontal lines on top right corner and go to “Options” menu.
- Click on the “Home” section on the right sidebar. You can setup the home page from the dropdown against “Homepage and new windows”.
- Firefox allows you to use blank page, Firefox home page or custom URLs as your home page. You can use multiple URLs as your home page by choosing the “Custom URLs” option and entering the URLs separated using | character.
3. Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge also by default shows the home button on the address bar.
- Click on the three dots and go to “Settings”.
- Under “Advanced settings” section click on “View advanced settings” button.
- Enable or disable “Show the home button” option.
- When enabled, select the webpage you want to setup your home page and click on the “Save” icon.
4. Internet Explorer 11
Windows 10 offers both Edge as well as Internet Explorer. If you are using Internet Explorer for any purpose then the home button is available right side of the address bar.
- Click on the “Gear” icon and go to “Internet Options”.
- “Home page” settings are available under “General” tab.
- You can’t disable the home button in IE11.
- You can choose the current page or enter multiple webpages in each line to set them as your home page.
- Click “Apply” and “OK” to close the dialog box.
5. Safari on Mac
By default, Safari does not show home button on the browser. You need to go to “History > Home” menu or press “Shift + Command + H” shortcut in order to open the homepage.
- Go to “Safari > Preferences…” menu.
- Under “General” tab, look for “Homepage” option.
- You can either use the currently opened page or enter a custom URL as your home page.
- You can also allow homepage to open when new tab and new window opens.
Mobile is a different world that each pixel is important. As far as we have checked, none of the browsers like Chrome, Safari or Edge offer home page option on mobiles.
Home button is a handy button that helps to quickly access the webpage easily. However, different browsers offer different ways to customize the button. Try to use the feature on your favorite browser today.