When using Google Chrome, you may encounter different errors and ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is one of them. It happens even to users of Windows 11 with the latest version of Google Chrome browser. Like a few other Chrome errors, ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE also indicates that you have a bad connection with the web. The message is usually shown as “The site isn’t working” or “site didn’t send any data”, which is followed by ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error as shown below:
Fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Error
There are number of reasons why ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error could happen. These may include bad Internet connection, corrupted Chrome extension, accumulated browser cache and temp files. Fortunately, it is easy to solve these problems and fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error. Here are solutions that you can try:
1. Reload the Page
When the error occurs, Chrome shows only one button – that is a reload button. Click on the reload button or refresh the browser to load the page again. Generally the error happens due to intermittent connection problems and reloading the page should work in most cases.
2. Clear Temporary Files
Significant accumulation of temporary files can cause you to encounter ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error. So, getting rid of temp files should solve the problem. Follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer in Windows and type in Temp in the search field.
- Find and click on the Temp file folder to open it.
- Select all by click Ctrl+A and hit the Delete button. Also clear the recycle bin items.
- Restart your Google Chrome browser and verify whether the problem has been resolved.
3. Reset Winsock
Winsock is the API that determines how Windows connects to TCP/IP network. If there’s a problem with Winsock, ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error may occur and you can resolve this by resetting Winsock.
- Use Windows Search and open Windows Terminal app or PowerShell in administrator mode.
- Type in “netsh winsock reset” in the command prompt and press enter.
- Restart your computer and check whether the problem has been resolved
4. Flush DNS and Reset Network Stack
DNS flush can also help to overcome the issue of ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE. Follow these steps:
- Right click on the start button and select Windows PowerShell (Admin) option.
- Type in these commands one by one and end each by hitting enter.
ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew netsh winsock reset catalog netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
Restart your computer, open web browser and check whether the problem has been resolved
5. Disable Network Affecting Software
VPN, proxies, firewall, web filters and antivirus may affect your network. Try to disable these things if you are using and check whether this resolves your problem. If the problem is resolved, you may need to enable one by one to narrow down the issue. It could be your settings or an app causing the issue. In case of a VPN app causing the issue, you may need to uninstall it and find an alternative.
6. Update Network Adapter Driver
Old network adapter driver may cause various problems with your connection and it may also trigger ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error. Depending on the manufacturer of network adapter, you may need to check for update every few months. Less reliable manufacturer may not release any update at all for years. If you know that the manufacturer releases an update regularly, you should follow these steps:
- Search for devmgmt.msc in the search field and hit enter. This will open the Device Manager section.
- Expand the Network Adapter and locate your active network connection.
- Right click on it and select Update Driver software option.
- Click “Search automatically for updated driver software”. In many cases, you can’t find the latest driver with this method. In this case, you may need to visit the website of the manufacturer to manually download and install the driver.
Restart your browser and verify whether the problem has been resolved
7. Contact Your Internet Service Provider
If the above solutions can’t seem to solve the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error, then it is probably an external issue. This should be a good time to contact your ISP to find out whether there’s an issue on their side.
As you have seen, there are number of reasons why ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error occurs and the above solutions should address most of the cases.