Nowadays having a blog and updating it frequently are no more sufficient to influence users visiting back your site again. You need to have a mechanism to capture interested user’s details and send them the required information to encourage visiting your site repeatedly. Email newsletter subscription is one such mechanism helps site owners to collect user’s email ids and send them the latest update. If you are considering newsletter subscription for your website, here are some tips to become successful with your efforts.
Tips for Successful Email Newsletters
Remember, using newsletter subscription needs user consent and is a continuous work. Therefore, make sure to declare properly on you website and try newsletter subscription only if you have sufficient time.
1. Quality of Traffic from Newsletter
Some site owners worry about the quality of the traffic with someone arriving to the site by means of clicking a link in an email. But the point is that the users subscribing to the site are doing it so voluntarily for looking to receive further updates. Hence, email newsletter traffic is supposed to be one of the best quality traffic from interested users.
This is true unless you are not spamming people emails with junk newsletters.
2.Single Opt-in Vs Double Opt-in
There are two ways to collect email ids for sending out newsletter – single opt-in and double opt-in. In a single opt-in method entering email id is sufficient to get subscribed without addition confirmation. In general single opt-in should not be used to avoid huge junk subscription.
- There are so called bad bots on the web register with junk email ids without a real human user behind it.
- Sometime site owner itself adds random email ids to send out a newsletter. This could be reason that you may receive many newsletters though you did not subscribe to them. This is straight forward a black hat SEO technique which will be penalized by search engines over the period of time.
- Single opt-in is useful especially when you migrate from one email newsletter provider to other. You can add all your existing subscribers without the need of asking for their confirmation again.
Double opt-in is the decent way of offering email subscription in which user first submits the email id and then confirm the subscription by clicking on the confirmation link sent their email id. This helps to avoid spamming and ensure the traffic quality only from interested real users.
3. Newsletter Service Providers
There are popular newsletter service providers like MailChimp, Constant Contact, AWeber, etc. in general all companies offer the basic services for free with an option to upgrade to premium plans when the subscribers grow beyond the free limit.
All service providers offer embeddable code which can be pasted wherever you want in your site. If you have WordPress site – there are plenty of free and premium plugins offering newsletter service.
4. Categorizing Newsletter Subscription
If your site covers vast topics categorized under many categories, a user may be interested in receiving topics belongs to particular category and not the whole content update. In this case there is a possibility of offering category-wise subscription which helps user to subscribe to only the interested categories.
5. Designing Newsletter Content
There are simple and easy ways to design the layout for your newsletter.
- Choose the layouts from word processing programs like Microsoft Word or Apple Pages.
- Newsletter companies offer beautiful layouts which you can choose.
- If you have plugins, they offer default layouts.
- Design your own layout.
Besides the actual newsletter it is also important to place the subscription box in appropriate place on a page. There are also paid email opt-in services offering attractive widgets and splash pop-ups for email subscription which you can integrate with the newsletter company.
- Building traffic to a site will take long time even with the tools like newsletter.
- Do not spam other’s email by sending unwanted newsletter content.
- Do not add emails on your own, this is legally prohibited and some companies not allow you to do this.
- Avoid single opt-in to stop receiving subscription from bots which is of no use for receiving quality traffic.
- Ensure to follow double opt-in process with user confirming the subscription.
- Ensure the privacy of emails received through subscription.
- Send the quality newsletter content based on the categorized subscribers, if you have categories.
- Add social links in the newsletter layout making easy for the users to follow your regular updates in social media instead of waiting for periodic newsletter.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.