Importance of Authorizing and Claiming Your AdSense Sites
It is possible to display AdSense ads of any publishers just by replacing the publisher’s id in the ad code. This possesses the risk of causing damage to your account status without your knowledge if anyone displays your ads on the sites violating AdSense policies. The other problem is the advertisers choosing your site for displaying irrelevant ads by damaging your site’s reputation. Google offers an optional way to protect your account in two simple ways:
- By authorizing sites on which ads are displayed to protect from anonymous display of your ads.
- By claiming your own sites to apply restriction on advertisers.
This article explains in detail on claiming and authorizing your sites in your AdSense account.
How to Authorize Sites for AdSense?
Follow the below steps to authorize the sites displaying your AdSense ads:
- Login to your AdSense account and click on the gear icon to access account settings section.
- Click on “Site authorization” link under “Access and authorization” section as shown in the below picture.
- Enter all your site’s URLs displaying ads one per line and save your entries.
If your ads are displayed on any unauthorized sites then you will see an alert message whenever you login to your account. Go to account settings and authorize the site if needed or else leave it unauthorized.
Unauthorized sites will continue to show you ads and ads generating clicks and impressions from unauthorized sites will continue to show in all your performance reports. But there will be no earnings added from the ads displayed on unauthorized sites, hence use this feature carefully to avoid revenue lose.
Claiming Your Own Sites
Site management feature allows you to claim your sites to apply certain site specific rules like blocking ads. Google allows two ways of claiming your site:
- Adding it manually
- Claiming it from unclaimed list
- Login to your AdSense account, click on the gear icon to access settings. Navigate to Site management section under Account section.
- Enter site URLs one per line and click on add to claim your site.
- Ensure to add only the sites on which your ads are displayed and enter the correct URL since this will impact the blocking rules when you set.
- For example, if you want to block ads for the entire domain then use yoursitename.com. If you add www.yoursitename.com then the blocking rules can’t be applied to the entire domain and the sub-domains like blog.yoursitename.com will still show ads.
Claiming from Unclaimed List
Sites displaying ads with your publisher id are listed under unclaimed tab. Click the claim link and the domain or sub-domain will be added to your owned list.