There are many tracking tools available for website owners and alexa.com was one of the popular analytics platforms. It was offering traffic ranking of a website for globally and country-wise based on the popularity. It was very popular due to the fact that it was one of the oldest websites offering this kind of services. However, after May 2022 it will be history that alexa.com will be shut down and close its services.
Many users do not know that alexa.com is an Amazon company launched during 1996. The domain age checker shows, alexa.com was created on 17th July 1996 which is even earlier than google.com (created on 15 Sep 1997).
Earlier days, alexa traffic widgets were very popular that website owners used to showcase their ranking using an embeddable widget. However, this API was discontinued and all the local and global traffic widgets were disabled. You could also claim your site ownership by verifying with a code added to your site’s pages. Later, alxea.com primarily offered traffic ranking as a free service with limited data showing for keyword gaps, similar domains, top keywords, etc.
Premium users can use the data analytics service and perform keyword research, competitor analysis, etc.
Controversial Ranking System
Though the alexa.com website ranking was popular among website owners, it has a controversial way of calculating the rank. Alexa.com collects information based on the toolbar that user uses as a browser extension. They encourages users to install the browser extension for providing the website ranking and other relevant data. However, the toolbar will collect IP address, advertisements you see on websites, searches you perform and many other parameters which is completely against the privacy.
In addition, the toolbar was used by limited number of users primarily webmasters and not by common users. Though the ranking was based on 90 days average of visitors and pageviews, it is still nowhere nearer to the actual metrics.
Shutdown on 1st May 2022
Currently the site shows an end service notice without any reasons for the closure.
The notice simply says the site will be shut down from 1st May 2022.
Other part of the site like site info section works like before with a top notification about the retirement of service.
Subscriptions and APIs
If you are using their subscription or API, here is what you need to know.
- Premium users can login to their account and import the data before the shutdown date.
- As of 8th Dec 2021, alexa.com also stopped offering new subscription. However, premium users will be charged till 1st Apr 2022.
- Top sites and web information service APIs will be retired on 15th Dec 2022. So, you have plenty of time for removing these from your site and look for alternative solutions.
- You can also delete the account before the shutdown date.
If you are tracking your website ranking with alexa.com, it’s time to find alternative websites that offer similar features. Though it is difficult to find so many metrics like alexa.com offered, you can find equivalent sites for getting an overall idea. Other than Google Analytics, most platforms offer limited features for free users, and you need to subscribe to premium service for getting full benefits.
- Google Analytics and Search Console – does not provide any ranking, however most reliable analytics tool for your website with complete reporting features.
- Similarweb – offers ranking for category and global that you can use as a reference.
- Semrush – top notch tool to get keyword and competitor research data. However, offers limited features for free users.
- Ahrefs – keywords rank tracker is a premium service, and you can try for a week with free trial.
- MOZ – get MOZ DA and PA as a reference for tracking your site’s performance along with tons of other metrics.
For now, say bye to alexa.com and start living in this digital world where new things always pop-up while old things are getting retired.