When browsing websites, you will find many useful information. However, it is not possible for you to remember all the details available on different webpages. One of the easy ways is to bookmark or add the page to your reading list depending on the browser you use. On certain occasions, you may also need to copy the content from the webpage for using on your documents. You can copy the content either by selecting or by using right-click. Unfortunately, some websites block the content selection and right click to avoid copying. In such case, here are few ways how you can copy content from right-click disabled webpages.
Why Website Owners Block Copying?
Though internet is grown that we can’t live without it, the biggest problem is content stealing. Sometimes, we order few articles from freelancing marketplaces like Upwork and Freelancer. Almost all those freelancing writers simply reproduce content from other websites. You can also find this when reading multiple articles on the same topic that 7 out of 10 bloggers simply copy or refer the content from other sources.
There is no real solution for stopping content stealing other than filing DMCA compliant with Google. However, this is not useful when the person copies and use the content on offline material. Also, most of the website owner can’t file a legal complaint by spending money to protect their originality. Below are some of the ways for the site owners to protect their content:
- Add copyright watermark to images.
- Disable selection and right-clicking on the pages.
- Image hotlinking to prevent embedding on unauthorized sites.
How to Copy Content from Right-Click Disabled Webpages?
- Open the page in Chrome.
- Click on the pad icon next the site name in the address bar.
- Click on “Site Settings” to go to the site-specific settings page.
- Now, reload the page and try to right-click and copy the content.
2. Copy Content from Source Code
If the website you are viewing blocks right-click then search for “Developer Tools” or “Developer” option in the browser’s menu. On Chrome, you can go to “View > Developer > View Source” menu to open the source code. Alternatively, you can use the website source code viewer tool to get the code. When you are on the source code, press “Control or Command + F” to search and find the content you want to copy.
3. Disable CSS Element
- Open “Inset” or Inspect Element” option. On Chrome, go to “View > Developer > Inspect Elements”.
- This will open Developer Tools where you can view and disable CSS for any element on the webpage.
4. Use VPN or Proxy Sites
Some website owners serve different webpages for users based on geographical location. This will also lead either completely blocking or only disabling right-clicking for users from specific countries.
- If the entire website is blocked, use VPN or proxy site to hide your identity and browse the web anonymously.
Almost all the browsers allow you to take screenshot of the webpage. Alternatively, you can also use the option on your mobile device or computer’s operating system to capture the screen your viewing. After taking screenshot use any of the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) tools to scan and get the text back from the image.
6. Print to PDF
Similar to taking screenshot, simply press “Control or Command + P” keys to print the entire webpage. You can also generate PDF document from the webpage instead of printing. On Chrome, select the “Destination” as “Save as PDF” in “Print” dialog” to convert the webpage to PDF document.
You can use OCR tools to scan and get the text content from the PDF. Alternatively, you can also convert PDF to Word document easily to copy the content.
7. Browser Extensions
Browser extensions offer unlimited functions for different features. If you use Chrome or Firefox, then try to find extensions or add-ons for enabling right-click on blocked websites. Follow the below instructions in Chrome:
- Open Chrome Web Store and search for “right click”.
- Locate “Enable Right Click” extension.
- Click on “Add to Chrome” button to install the extension on your browser.
- After installing, open the webpage and click on the extension icon on the address bar.
- Select, “Enable Right Click” option to copy the content from the webpage with right-click.
8. Use Mobile Device
If you are not able to copy the content on your desktop then open the same page on your mobile browser. Generally, you should be able to select and copy the content on mobile devices. If you still have problem, simply take a screenshot and use text grabber or scanner apps to grab the content.
Hope one of above-mentioned methods helped you to copy the content from the right-click disabled websites. However, remember not to steal content or use without permission. If you are copying few lines, then it is good idea to cite the source page as a reference. However, if you want to copy paragraphs or the entire content better to directly link the page instead of republishing to keep the internet clean.