Each computer comes with a unique serial number to identify the device. The identification can be used for many purposes like getting support from the Apple. For example, you need to enter the serial number for finding the trade in value of your MacBook in Apple’s website. If you are looking finding serial number of your MacBook, here are the ways to do that. These methods work on all MacBook models including MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iMac.
Finding Serial Number of MacBook
There are multiple ways to find the serial number of your MacBook. Make sure not to reveal the number as it can be used to find personal details. Remember that build or version number is different than serial number. Build or version number is assigned to macOS software while serial number is assigned to your physical device.
1. Find Serial Number from Apple Menu
If you are working on the laptop and want to find the serial number, then this is the quickest method.
- Click on the Apple logo showing on the top right corner of your MacBook.
- Select “About This Mac” menu and go to “Overview” tab (you should be there on that tab by default).
- Here you can find all the details of your macOS along with the device’s serial number.
2. Check from System Information App
If you want to find the serial number along with other technical information about your Mac, then you should use System Information app.
- Click the Apple logo and go to “About This Mac” menu.
- When you are in “Overview” tab, click on “system Report…” button.
- This will open System Information app and click on “Hardware” option (it should be the default option when the app opens).
- On the right pane, you can find the complete “Hardware Overview” of your MacBook.
- You can find the system serial number along with other details like System Firmware version and SMC version.
3. Check Back Side of MacBook
Next option is to check the back side of your Mac. Serial number is embossed on the back side of the case of all MacBook models. Though it is easy to find the serial number, it is difficult to read as the text size will be very small on the imprint.
4. Find From Apple ID in Mac
This and next two methods work from your Apple ID details. Apple will register the devices when you login with your Apple account. You can easily find the device details by logging into your account from any of your device settings or from online.
- Click the Apple logo and go to “System Preferences…” menu.
- On macOS Ventura or later, select your Apple ID from the left sidebar. Select your MacBook name showing under “Devices” section on the right pane.
- On macOS Monterey or earlier versions, click “Apple ID” icon showing next to your name on the top. On the next screen, select your MacBook from the left sidebar to find the serial number displayed on the right pane.
5. Check Apple ID from Other Apple Devices
If you do not have your MacBook on the hand and wanted to find its serial number, then you can use this option from other Apple devices like your iPhone. Here we will explain with iPhone and make sure that you are logged in with the same Apple ID used on the Mac.
- Tap on “Settings” app and then tap on your Apple account name showing on the top.
- Scroll down and tap on your MacBook name showing in the device list.
- You can find the serial number under “Device Info” section along with the model name and installed macOS version.
6. Check Apple ID Online
This method is useful when you do not have your Apple devices with you and wanted to find the serial number online from any other devices.
- Go to Apple ID website and login with your Apple account. Make sure to use the same account that you are using on the MacBook.
- Click “Devices” option from the left sidebar to view all the devices available under your Apple account.
- Click on your MacBook name to open a pop-up showing the device details.
- You can find the serial number of your Mac on the top. You can also find the serial number at the bottom of the pop-up under “About” section.