We all know how great Chrome browser is. It’s the most popular as well as the widely used browser all over the world. Apart from its customizability and speed it also has many cool experimental flag features. A very few people out there know about them. In this article, we are going to learn more about best tweaks and tips which you can do with cool experimental flag features.
Remember Google says, these are experimental and should be used for experiments only. There can be privacy concerns and data loss. Use them at your own risk.
How to Open Chrome Flags Section?
First of all, let’s see how to access these features in Google Chrome.
- Open the Chrome browser and in the new tab, type command URL ‘chrome://flags’ in the address bar.
- Now, hit the ‘Enter’ key to open Chrome flags page.
- You will see a warning message like below indicating the features may affect the usage.
10 Hidden Flags Features for Google Chrome Users
- Show credit card last usage in forms
- Enabling HDR
- Stop the websites from high jacking navigations
- Automatically generating passwords
- Reduce microphone echo in web chat
- Enabling pip (picture in picture) mode
- Show title in search bar
- Audio muting from the tab
- Automatic password saving
- Automatic tab discarding
1. Show Credit Card Last Usage in Forms
Well, we don’t actually recommend to save the credit card information in your browser. But. if you are willing to see when your credit card was last used while doing payment, you can see this in the autofill forms.
- Search for ‘#enable-autofill-credit-card-last-used-date-display’.
- From the drop-down option, select ‘Enable’ option. Relaunch the Chrome.
- This option can actually help if your credit card was used by someone else or not.
2. Enabling HDR
HDR makes your screen colours richer. It increases the different parts of the screen with contrast which makes the screen looks amazing. To enable this:
- Search for ‘#enable-hdr’ feature on the ‘Chrome://flags’ page.
- From the drop-down list of options, select the ‘Enable’ option.
- Well, there is a condition for this feature, you must have an HDR display also.
3. Stop the Websites from High-jacking Navigations
Some website often highjacks your navigations like going forward or going backwards. Well, these sites abuse the history features in your browser. They keep on writing fake entries that keeps you on their website.
- Search for the feature ‘#enable-history-entry-requires-user-gesture’.
- Enable this option from the drop-down list given and then relaunch the Chrome again.
- Through this, the website won’t be able to add more entries to your history.
4. Automatically Generating Passwords
Chrome is so smart that by enabling one feature it can generate automatic passwords for you. Log-in with your Google account in Chrome. It will sync these passwords with your account.
- In the flag features, search for the ‘#enable-password-generation’.
- Enable it and relaunch the Chrome to see the changes.
5. Reduce Microphone Echo in Web Chat
If you are daily voice chatting person through Chrome browser then your microphone may have some echo issues. To fix this:
- Search for ‘#WebRtcUseEchoCanceller3’ in your Chrome://flags page.
- Enable it from the options given and relaunch the Chrome to see changes.
- This will reduce the echo or we can say noise and help you in better hearing.
6. Enabling PIP (Picture in Picture) Mode
This is a great feature in Chrome it allows you to enable picture in picture mode for videos. Now, this feature might not work on some PCs so, don’t expect the good results.
- Search for ‘#enable-picture-in-picture’ and enable it from the ‘Chrome://flags’.
- Relaunch the Chrome.
- Visit any video site and right-click on the video then choose ‘Picture in Picture’.
7. Show Title in Search Bar
This feature brings up a clearer image while searching for the content or website. It shows the titles of the web page or website when you are trying to search for it.
- Search for ‘#omnibox-display-title-for-current-URL’ in the ‘Chrome://flags’ page.
- Enable it and relaunch the Chrome to view changes.
8. Audio Muting from The Tab
When you’re playing an audio/video in Chrome, it displays a small speaker icon on the top of the tab. But, it does not work to pause the audio. If you want to mute the audio then follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Chrome://flags page and search for ‘#enable-tab-audio-muting’.
- Enable it and relaunch the Chrome.
- Try visiting a video site and click on the speaker icon. It will pause the audio from it.
9. Automatic Password Saving
You may or may not be liking this feature, it’s your choice. If you are a person who forgets passwords easily then this feature in Chrome is your friend.
- Search for ‘#PasswordForceSaving’ and enable it.
- Relaunch the Chrome to view changes.
- Try filling up and form and you will not get any prompt for saving it because it will save the password automatically.
10. Automatic Tab Discarding
If you are running a low on memory PC, then this feature will be very helpful. It will discard the unused tabs when the system is running on low memory.
- In the Chrome://flags page, search for ‘#automatic-tab-discarding’ and enable it. Relaunch the Chrome by clicking on the button given below.
- This feature will be very helpful in enhancing the performance of the Chrome. The discarded tabs will still be visible but they will be in action again only when you’ll click on them.
Google Chrome has may hidden flags that you can try to enhance your browsing experience. However, these are experimental flag and Google warns not to use on stable version especially when you use the same browser for financial transactions. So, try them on Chrome Canary or other versions which you can run in parallel to the stable version.