Having a software, application, or website become a prerequisite for businesses striving to make a mark in this hyper competitive business world. Hiring right software development team is one of the most important factors that determines the success or failure of any business. Whether you have a large-scale business or a small start-up, having a software development team that understands your goal makes a big difference.
Successfully Hiring a Software Development Team
If you are looking for a software development team for your business, here are the ten factors to keep in mind.
1. Keep Your Expectations
When you begin to lookout for good software development team, be sure of your expectations. It is an essential factor that helps you in selecting right team that could work along with you to achieve your goals.
- Find out your business needs and discuss your goals with your team members.
- Identify major issues in your current software development cycle (if any).
- Look for a team that could help you fix the problems.
- Create a plan that leads your business towards success.
2. Understand Type of Services You Need
Before looking for a team, figure out whether you want to outsource a team, or out staff it.
- If you outsource a team, you entrust the entire project to the team.
- On other hand, if you out staff, you hire a developer to work on the task you assign them.
If you wish to outsource a company, identify the types of outsourcing that suits your needs. The types of outsourcing are onshore, offshore, nearshore, and hybrid. You can choose one of these models based to keep the team on your site or offshore based on your budget and need.
3. Check Outsourcing Country
This is an important factor to consider when you plan to outsource the software development team. Consider two factors while outsourcing the software development services – IT market development and cost. Countries like Ukraine, India, Brazil, China, Mexico, and the Philippines are the best countries to outsource software development services.
- The IT sector of Ukraine is growing at a good pace owing to governmental support. Moreover, the country doesn’t demand unreasonable taxes and fees from employers. The hourly rates for software developers in Ukraine is between $20 and $75, making it one of the most cost-effective countries for outsourcing.
- India’s booming IT industry is also a good option for outsourcing, where the services are available at the cheapest rate, between $18 and $25.
- Brazil is another popular destination for outsourcing, which offers exceptional IT-services to customers. The hourly rate of Brazilian software developers is between $30 and $50. Moreover, its proximity to the USA makes it favorable among the American and Canadian people looking for software development services.
- Mexico, China, and the Philippines are other hot outsourcing destinations.
You can plan considerably lower cost when you outsource your software development work to one of these countries.
4. Experience of the Team
Another factor to consider while looking for a software development team is their experience.
- Check the portfolio of all your potential choices and shortlist them based on their experience and credibility.
- Check whether or not they have worked on a similar project in the past.
- Find out whether the team handled any complex projects to date and what was the outcome of the previous projects.
All these things will help you in finding a developer who will suit your business needs.
5. Area of Expertise
Software development is like a complex system formed by various organs. Web development, data science, mobile development, application development, back-end development, API development, software tools development, security software development, embedded system development, etc, are a few parts that software development broadly covers.
Every developer possesses a skill set that makes them stand out among the crowd. While selecting a software developer, focus on their skill set and area of expertise. Evaluate your needs and check whether or not the developer has the required skills. Do your homework and find out the technology to be used in your software and find developers who are adept in that particular technology. You can further test your developers with some developer screening software to evaluate their proficiency.
6. Team’s Capacity
Several agencies handle large-scale, long-term projects, while some work on multiple small projects. A detailed evaluation of their area of expertise, knowledge, and experience is enough to unveil the capacity of a software developer. With this, you will know whether your potential developer is capable enough to undertake a project of massive magnitude.
7. Your Budget
One of the most important factors to consider while hiring a software development team is your budget. An ideal deal is where your ROI surpasses your investment. Check the proposals of the prospects and shortlist the ones that fit your budget. Don’t get lured by cheap proposals as they often don’t offer competent services.
Also, don’t forget to check the hidden costs. Several software development agencies charge extra for document management, maintenance, etc., which isn’t something they should be doing.
8. Financial Stability
Most businesses ignore this factor, but the financial stability of the software developer is necessary. If your potential choice goes bankrupt in the middle of your project, you will have to bear the brunt of it. It will not only affect your business’s finances, but also hinder the growth of your company.
9. Client Vendor Relationship
In order to sustain a long-term project and achieve success, you need to have a team that understands you. Your development partner should be able to understand your expectations with the project, gauge the potential challenges, and know when to say “no”.
10. After-sale Services
Bidding goodbye to developers after the completion of your project is an unreasonable idea as every software needs regular maintenance. Even a small software program requires maintenance to keep it updated. Hence, consider the after-sale services of the software development team before hiring them.
Finding the right software development team is not rocket science. All you need to do is to reflect on each of the above-listed factors and make your decision wisely.